Governance/Board of Trustees
Western Health's Board of Trustees work closely with the President and Chief Executive Officer, who is responsible for the leadership of staff, physicians, and other stakeholders who together deliver essential health and community services to people living in the Western region, and Newfoundland and Labrador.
Western Health is governed by a maximum of an 18 member Board appointed by the Minister of Health and Community Services, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The four Regional Health Authorities – Eastern Health, Central Health, Western Health, and Labrador-Grenfell Health – hosted a two-day conference “Leading Change: Building On Our Vision For Healthy Communities” in Gander, November 2019. Using input collected at the conference, the RHA Board Chairs reconvened to develop a series of recommendations to support stronger Governance and Population in Newfoundland and Labrador (See Leading Change Summary here).
- Bryson Webb (Chairperson) - Channel-Port aux Basques
- Edwina Bateman - Channel-Port aux Basques
- Marie Brennan Downey - Stephenville Crossing
- Brian Hudson - Pasadena
- Mark Alexander Mills - Stephenville
- Richard Parsons - Cow Head
- Sheldon Peddle - Corner Brook
- Scott Porter - Bonne Bay
- Lloyd Chelsey Walters - Corner Brook
- Keith Watton - Corner Brook
The Interim Chief Executive Officer of Western Health is Ms. Michelle House. The CEO is appointed by the Western Health Board of Trustees to achieve the goals and objectives set by the Board.
The Senior Executive reports directly to the CEO and provides overall direction to key areas of the organization.
Western Health’s Senior Executive is:
- Ms. Michelle House, Interim CEO
- Ms. Teara Freake, Vice President Clinical- Patient Care
- Ms. Tina Edmonds, Vice President People, Quality and Safety (Interim)
- Dr. Dennis Rashleigh, Vice President Clinical-Medical Services, Rural and Primary Health Care
- Mr. Devon Goulding, Vice President, Corporate Services and Chief Financial Officer (Interim)
- Ms. Carol Anne Wight, Vice President Clinical- Population Health and Long Term Care (Interim)
- Ms. Tara J. Pye, Regional Director of Communications
See Organizational Chart here
For more information about the Board of Trustees or Senior Executive, please contact:
Caroline Wall, Executive Secretary, Western Health at 709-637-5245.
Corporate Office, 1 Brookfield Avenue, Corner Brook, NL, A2H 6J7
Dr. Christopher Jenkins, Regional Chief of Perioperative Medicine
Dr. Elmarie Potgieter, Regional Chief of Pathology
Dr. Abdouraman Mahrugh, Regional Chief of Emergency
Dr. Brendan Lewis, Chief of Staff – Western Memorial Regional Hospital
Dr. Alan McComiskey, Chief of Staff – Sir Thomas Roddick Hospital
Dr. Bob Cook, Regional Chief of Medicinal Imaging
Dr. Stephen Murphy, Regional Chief of Internal Medicine
Vacant, Regional Chief of Family Practice
Dr. Yuri Power, Regional Chief of Psychiatry
Dr. Katy Smallwood, Divisional Lead of OBS/Gyne
Dr. Dave Thomas, Chief of Staff – Rural South
Dr. Scott MacKenzie, Regional Chief of Surgery