Residential Options

Residential Services are provided through the Community Support Program for both older adults (Personal Care Homes) and adults with intellectual disabilities (Alternate Family Care Homes, Individual Living Arrangements, and Cooperative Apartments).  

Residential services offered through the Community Support Program

Personal Care Homes 
Personal Care Homes are privately owned and operated residential homes for seniors and other adults who need assistance with daily living.  Personal Care Homes provide care to adults needing residential assistance and who are unable to live independently due to social circumstances, disabilities, emotional or physical illness, injury, or aging.  An Assessment is completed to determine if a person is suitable for this type of placement.

The Community Support Program Staff licenses and monitors Personal Care Homes. Financial assistance may be available to assist with the cost of residing in a Personal Care Home; a Financial Assessment completed by Community Support staff will determine eligibility for a subsidy.

Personal Care Homes in the Western Region 

Board and Lodging Arrangements
An adult with an intellectual disability or physical disability may choose to reside in a Board and Lodging Home and have accommodations, meals, laundry, etc. provided to them as well as additional support as identified through the clinical assessment of their needs by Community Support Staff.  Adults in board and lodging placements have identified needs that warrant a supplementary board and lodging rate.

The basic rate of board and lodging is available through the Department of Advanced Education and Skills, while additional funding, if eligible, may be provided by the Community Support Program. 

Alternate Family Care Homes
An Alternate Family Care Home is a private residence that provides room and board, supervision and personal care to an unrelated adult with an intellectual disability. The program is designed to meet the needs of individuals who cannot live independently or chooses not to and can benefit from a family environment.  This option is a flexible living arrangement that enables an individual, with extensive support needs and/or challenging behaviors, to live in a family environment. The Community Support Program approves and monitors Alternate Family Care Homes to ensure that a high quality of care is provided.

For more information on the Alternate Family Care Program or if interested in becoming an Alternate Family Care Home please contact Western Health’s Residential Services Manager at 634-5564.

Individual Living Arrangement
Individual Living Arrangements is a 24-hour staffed living arrangement for individuals with an intellectual disability who cannot reside with their family or Alternate Family Care. This arrangement may allow for two or more individuals to share supported accommodations. This service can be long term when other options are not available or appropriate. The individual and/or their family are responsible for the operation of this type of living arrangement. This residential option is meant to meet the adult’s needs while encouraging independence and life skill development.

The Community Support Program cost shares Individual Living Arrangements with the Department of Advanced Education and Skills.   

Cooperative Apartments
Cooperative Apartments are residences with 24-hour support for two or three residents who are diagnosed with an intellectual disability. The program is designed to address individual behaviors and teach life skills to enable the individual to live in other less restrictive community settings. Cooperative Apartments assist individuals to attain their fullest personal potential and achieve functional integration and acceptance into the community.

The Community Support Program contracts with Residential Support Boards to operate Cooperative Apartments. An individual is considered for admission to a Cooperative Living Apartment through a referral process made by staff of the Community Support Program following an assessment of the individual’s clinical needs.  Referrals made to the Residential Support Board do not guarantee admission. 

Who do I contact?
For more information on the Residential Services offered through the Community Support Program please contact the local Community Support Office in your area. 

The following services are provided through Community Support: