Temporary Change of Service at Rufus Guinchard Health Centre
Newfoundland and Labrador Health Services is experiencing a temporary change of service at the Rufus Guinchard Health Centre in Port Saunders. On-site emergency services for this site will be supported through a Virtual ER physician from:
- Sunday, May 28 at 8:00 a.m. to Monday, May 29 at 6:00 p.m.
There will be a health-care provider available to support patient care on-site and assist with virtual care. Residents requiring emergency services in the area during this time are advised to call 911 or proceed to the nearest health centre.
In many respects, a Virtual ER operates the same as a traditional Emergency Room.
- A patient requiring emergency health services would present to the health centre.
- The patient will be seen and assessed by a registered nurse (RN) and/or nurse practitioner (NP).
- The patient will be assessed by a physician virtually and managed with the support of the team on the ground.
- As required, patients would be transported to the nearest hospital to further manage their needs.
This model of care has been implemented in many regions across Canada to provide safe care for patients in need.
Newfoundland and Labrador Health Services thanks the public for their understanding as we continue to focus on providing safe and quality care for residents.